The City of Charlotte, in partnership with Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont, will launch an additional fall cohort of the Renewable Energy and Efficiency Workforce (“RENEW”) Training Program to begin on October 6, 2020. RENEW will provide paid training in the areas of Construction and HVAC and Electrical Trades. This 16-week class will teach basic skills for the industry and work to place graduates in successful full-time employment opportunities.
Program Dates: October 6, 2020 - February 5, 2020
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00 - 9:30pm
Saturdays: 8:30am - 3:30pm
Occupational skills to be covered in this training program include:
● Basic residential and commercial construction.
● Basic heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (“HVAC”) training, with an emphasis on energy
efficiency and building automation systems.
● Basic electrical training that can lead to job placement in facility management, electrical trade
work, solar/photovoltaic panel installation and maintenance, and/or electric vehicle
maintenance and charging infrastructure careers.
● General energy management accounting concepts
● At the completion of the training program, participants will receive OSHA 10 and EPA 608 certifications.
These skill sets are in high demand in the Charlotte region. The average wage for entry-level technicians
in this field is $48,000.
Participants will be paid a stipend of $15/hour during the training period. Additionally, participants will
receive career counseling in preparation for a paid work-based learning opportunity, and full-time
employment within this industry.
Applicant Eligibility Requirements:
Be a resident of the City of Charlotte
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Be eligible to work in the United States by the time of program completion/graduation
- Employment status negatively affected by COVID-19
- Prior convictions will be reviewed in detail to determine eligibility
- Ability to work in diverse conditions including but not limited to exposure to noisy operating equipment, exposure to extreme weather conditions, precarious places, and risk of electrical shock (high voltage).
- Meet the physical requirements of the training program and position; requires regular use of hands, fingers, walking, stooping, and kneeling. Requires regularly lifting and or moving up to 10lbs., frequently lift and or move up to 40 lbs. and occasionally lift and or move more than 40 lbs.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for a minimum of 12 months, with no major or frequent traffic violations including, but not limited to:
o DUI in the previous 5 years
o Hit & Run, License Suspension, Reckless / Careless Driving or multiple smaller infractions or preventable collisions in the previous 3 years.
If selected, you will be required to complete a background check.
Please direct any questions to Veronica Cheney at Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont at (980) 636-1100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the following questions to the best of your ability to be considered for the RENEW Training Program and employment opportunities. A representative from Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont will follow-up with qualified applicants as soon as possible.