Please read the program description and FAQ page found here [insert link].
Please have the following information readily available:
· SOC Codes of all roles that company wishes to fill to receive the grant (find your SOC code(s) here)
· Most recent audit
· 2019 IRS Form W-3
· 2019 IRS Form W-9
· Job descriptions for any open position which company would like to receive the grant for
The City of Charlotte, in partnership with Urban League of Central Carolinas, has launched the Renewable Energy and Efficiency Workforce (“RENEW”) Training Program. RENEW will provide paid training in the area of HVAC and Electrical Trades. This 13-week classe will teach basic skills for the industry and work to place graduates in successful full-time employment opportunities.
Applications are now open for the summer cohort that will run June 2 - August 26, 2021. Virtual instruction is provided Monday-Thursday from 1:00 - 3:30pm.
Occupational skills to be covered in this training program include:
- Basic heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (“HVAC”) training, with an emphasis on energy efficiency and building automation systems.
- Basic electrical training that can lead to job placement in facility management, electrical trade work, solar/photovoltaic panel installation and maintenance, and/or electric vehicle
maintenance and charging infrastructure careers.
- General energy management accounting concepts
At the completion of the training program, participants will receive EPA 608 and HVAC Green industry certifications.
These skill sets are in high demand in the Charlotte region. The average wage for entry-level technicians
in this field is $48,000.
Participants will be paid a stipend of $15/hour during the training period. Additionally, participants will
receive career counseling in preparation for a paid work-based learning opportunity, and full-time
employment within this industry.
Applicant Eligibility Requirements:
- Be a resident of the City of Charlotte
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Be eligible to work in the United States by the time of program completion/graduation
- Employment status negatively affected by COVID-19
- Prior convictions will be reviewed in detail to determine eligibility
- Ability to work in diverse conditions including but not limited to exposure to noisy operating equipment, exposure to extreme weather conditions, precarious places, and risk of electrical shock (high voltage).
- Meet the physical requirements of the training program and position; requires regular use of hands, fingers, walking, stooping, and kneeling. Requires regularly lifting and or moving up to 10lbs., frequently lift and or move up to 40 lbs. and occasionally lift and or move more than 40 lbs.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for a minimum of 12 months, with no major or frequent traffic violations including, but not limited to:
o DUI in the previous 5 years
o Hit & Run, License Suspension, Reckless / Careless Driving or multiple smaller infractions or preventable collisions in the previous 3 years.
If selected, you will be required to complete a background check.
Please direct any questions to Melissa Herbert at Urban League of Central Carolinas Monday -Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. ESTat (980) 301-3745 or firstname.lastname@example.org or refer to the Frequently asked questions.
Please complete the following questions to the best of your ability to be considered for the RENEW
Training Program and employment opportunities. A representative from the Urban League of Central
Carolinas will follow-up with qualified applicants as soon as possible.